Wine/6l bottle heidsieck

I have a large bottle of heidsieck champagne,  dry monopole brut.  There is no age on the bottle and I do not know much about it, other then it's been I'm my family for about 30 years.  There's a N.M.3.030.242
I would love to know anything about this bottle.
Thank you
Ben rongve

Hi Ben

This is a tough one.  Generally only the finest Champagnes are made with the intention that they might be aged further---and those are always provided with a vintage date on the label.  Even those begin to show their age after twenty years or so....and this one is well past that point.

Classic brut style wines are released when they are ready to drink, and generally aren't considered to improve much with additional bottle age.  

So those are two counts against you.

Want another one?  The storage conditions for older, delicate wines are critical.  If they get warm (even above 70 degrees F) or moved around, or kept in an area with too much light, they can fall apart very quickly.  Your bottle has had plenty of time for that to happen somewhere along the line.

There is only one ray of hope in all of this.  Large bottles age better.  Their bigger volume makes them more resistant to both motion and heat...and there is always less oxygen per volume of wine than in a smaller bottle.

So what does this all mean? Your bottle is in all likelihood dead as a doornail.  And I'm sorry about that.  But there is just the off-chance that it might have survived all these years, and can still offer some charm.  It's a long shot---which is why no connoisseur or collector will want to risk a big price for such a bottle.  I'd be surprised if you could find someone to pay more than a couple of hundred dollars for it, and for that price, you won't get much good Champagne in return.

So here's what I would do.  Chill it down for a nice large party occasion.  Open it up and see what it has to offer.  If you're lucky, you can charm the daylights out of a whole room full of people.  But have a few bottles of something else ready to go behind the counter.  Because if this one is dead, you'll still want to have something to pour for them.

Does that make sense?

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.