Wine/about a bottle

I have a bottle wine date on it is 1974.. here it what is on the liable.
Mosel-saar- ruwer
Krover nacktarlch
Qualitatswein. B.a
A.p.Nor.2 907 373 146 76
Adolph huesgen, traben- trarbach/model
Can you tell me anything about it . Like where its from and the flavor.
And what it cost there , and what's the price of it now

Hi Ray

This was a pleasant bottle of Riesling from Germany--The Qualitatswein certificate means that it was made from a riper lot of grapes that would indicate a slight higher quality than the most basic classification.  But it's not from a  specific vineyard or town--in fact, Krover Nacktarich literally translate to "bare bottom" and is usually used for the entry level wines from this region.  The initial price in Germany in 1974 would be been quite low---perhaps as low as a $1 per bottle.  

But the label is fun, isn't it? I've always thought that the name refers to the fact that this wine is made from the "bare" minimum grapes without any careful aging or elaboration in the cellar. And it usually has a nice "spank" of acidity on the finish.

1974 was not a good year in Germany, and this wine was never intended to age this long.  It will be lost past its prime, with little fruit and not much charm.  Because of that, it won't have any value on the open market.  Connoisseurs and collectors are looking for something with more pedigree and a longer life.

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.