Wine/How old is my magnum of Lanson Black Label Champagne?

Dear David,

any info would be great. Found this in my dad's attic. Back label has fallen off. This will probably taste off, but any idea on age?

Many thanks,

Hi Andrew,

There's no way to date non-vintage blends accurately but this could be anything up to 60 years old as Lanson's claim 'By appointment' to HM Queen Elizabeth.

I'm afraid 'will probably taste off' might be a bit of an understatement as loft storage is about the worst possible as the temperature cycles between below frezzing in winter to very hot in summer.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.