Wine/Record bottle of old red wine

I have an Chateau Margaux 1962 bottle and I have never re-corked such an old bottle when the wine level has gone down a little. How would you go about this and what dosage is used for fine wine like this?

It is not a good idea to try to recork a wine like that by yourself. Trying to recork yourself puts your wine in jeopardy of oxidation and spoilage. Chateaux will do recorking when they have a large number of mature bottles that they wish to sell. As a consumer or collector it is best to let the wine age in perfect cellar conditions until you are ready to drink it. Then you remove the cork very carefully. That wine is no doubt reached maturity by this time and you may want to consider drinking it.  

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.