Wine/tokaji

Question
Several years ago, I was given a sealed bottle of tokaji pecsenye bor wine 1943 vintage (as this was my birth year).  It has been stored away for years in a dark, cool place and I had forgotten about it until I started to downsize!  Now, I have no idea whether to throw it away or save it due to value.  Can you help?

Thank you.

James Sneed

Answer
Hi James

This is very cool. Tokaji was once one of the greatest wines in the world: the king of wines and wine of kings!  But that was during the golden age of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  During WWII, this region fell under the influence of the Soviet Union, and the focus was then to make great amounts of wine, rather than great wines.

So that's the background to your bottle, which dates to the exact time When the Soviets took over.  While the grapes were picked in 1943 (not a great year by any means) the wine was certainly bottled during the Soviet occupation.

It could be delicious, but it's really hard to tell.  And the storage over the past 70 years is also a question.  I doubt it would sell for much at auction...maybe around $100-150? But it still might be interesting to drink.  Don't expext it to be fruity and lively, but it might have notes of dried apricots, hazelnuts, and caramel.  Serve it lightly chilled with a delicate cheese or nuts.

And it would absolutely have an amazing story to tell.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner

Wine

Paul Wagner