Wine/Value of bottle of wine

Question
I have a 750ML bottle of 1996 Buena Vista Carneros Estate Zinfandel, Cat Series Number Six (the bottle says 200 cases produced).
The label is etched and in great condition and the foil is still in tact.  I am trying to determine the value to sell this bottle at an auction for a charity fundraiser.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Answer
Hi Staci

This was a nice bottle of wine when it was made, but it is now almost twenty years old, and I am afraid it may be past its prime. Zinfandel is not a wine that is famous for aging as long as something like Cabernet, and over time the wines tend to lose their fruit and become a bit tired and faded.  It's perfectly safe to drink, but it is probably browning in color, with aromas that are more like port and caramel than the berry fruit it had when it was young.

For all those reasons, this one won't have a lot of value on the resale market.  I doubt you would find many collectors or connoisseurs who would want to pay more than about $25 for this bottle.

But you have nothing to lose.  Open it up on a special occasion and see what it has to offer.  You might get a pleasant surprise.  Just have a back up bottle on hand in case it really is completely over the hill.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner