Wine/Vintage Spanish Wine Value

We discovered what appear to be vintage Spanish Wine in my wife's recently deceased Grandmothers house. There are two cases and one is unopened. The label says Montilla Nectar Brut selected and imported by Frank Schoonmaker. Alacon Hermanos Cordoba Espana. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Scott

This is a really unusual one.  I believe what you have here is something akin to fino Sherry. But fino usually comes from further south in Spain, not from Cordoba.  And the Brut on the label is a real puzzle, since that term is used only for sparkling wine--and this wine is not sparkling!

I think Frank Schoonmaker found a nice lot of wine on Cordoba and tried to import it as a new and different kind of fino...

Sadly, fino is best served young and chilled.  These bottles are now quite old.  They will have lost much of the delicate fino character, and the color will be browned, showing the loss of fruit.  I don't think this wine would have any value on the auction market, sorry to say.

I wish I had better news.  You might try a bottle to see.  It may have aged into a rather interesting blend of fino and amontillado, and if it has, you have enough for the next twenty years!

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.