Wine/Dom Perignon

I have a bottle of 1976 Dom that was purchased in London in the early '80's. It has moved with me several times over the years and I have tried to keep it in a cool place.  It is still in the original box though the box seal is broken.  I noticed there is some sediment in the wine now.  Does this mean that it's turned and no longer of any value?

Hi Delphine,

This is now very old, even for a Champagne of this class, so some sediment is inevitable.

If you have it in mind to sell this, I suggest you ask Wine Commune ( to arrange for this to be valued with as view to entering it into their auction system.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.