Wine/Paul Garrett American Wine

Paul Garrett Bottle
Paul Garrett Bottle  
I found a box of Paul Garrett American Tawny Port wine in the basement of my inlaws, I found what I believe is the date of 091742. I would like to know if it can be drinkable, worth keeping it? What do you suggest? Thank you for you time sir.

Not a particularly good wine to begin with, although a cool sort of antiquey looking bottle, it's a wine that does not improve with bottle age. So depending upon how long it's been stored that will be reversely proportional to how drinkable it may be. The longer, the worser. And the picture tells an ominous tale. The fill is low, meaning it have evaporated and the color is dark indicating oxidation. But you might as well go ahead and open one.  

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.