Wine/Vintage Port

1963 Vintage Port
1963 Vintage Port  

Label on 1963 Vintage Port bottle
Label on 1963 Vintage  
I have a bottle of 1963 Vintage Port produced, bottled and shipped by Gonzales, Byass & Co.
It says on the label Vila Nova de Gaia - Produce of Portugal.  On the neck is a white label with the number
8 19319 Selo de Guarantia
Can you tell me the value of this and where I could sell it.  I live near Yeovil in Somerset.

Hi Vivienne,

Gonzalez Byass are best-known as Sherry producers until 2001, when their interests were acquired by Croft, but they were also active in Oporto from 1896 to 2001, when their stocks were bought by Vasconcelos.

Their Vintage Ports never matched the reputation or prices of Fonseca and the other greats but 1963 was a famous vintage so I have no doubt your bottle would attract bids at auction from enthusiasts seeking a very fine Port at a relatively bargain price.

The most recent sale record I can find is of a Bid for Wine ( auction in 2014 when a bottle of 1963 that was in a similarly good condition to yours sold for £66. (Less commission of course.)

I suggest you ask them to handle your sale.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.