I have a 1929 Sichel & Fils Frerer, light red wine, Medoc, Bordeax bottle of wine.  My question is, What is it worth?

Hi Matt

tHanks for your question. I've done a bit of research and found that this wine, the Sichel & Fils Frere is i believe a negotiant bottled wine. In other words a negotiant bought the grapes/juice/wine and then bottled it themselves under their own label.

There is some variation as to which Sichel it is, I believe it is Peter Max Sichel who was responsible for the success of the Blue Nun label.

Anyway, I digress slightly. In answer to your question of worth, It might have a little value for novelty value, it is very rare after all to find a wine of this age, but no more I'm afraid. It is likely the wine is way past its best and without a bit Chateau name attached to it, the value might be somewhere in the region of£15-£30.

I hope that has helps, my advice would be to open the wine and try it as an interesting opportunity to taste something this old.

Tom I'Anson

My expertise covers all aspects of wine including knowledge on regions, grapes, vintages, wine types and tasting. I can also answer questions on fortified wines such as port and sherry as well as some questions on Gin.

I am a wine merchant with a number of years experience selling, tasting and buying wine.

Tom I'Anson Wines

Wine and Spirits Education Trust HNC (Level 3)