Wine/Jenard Merlot

QUESTION: Hi, I heard that Jenard, Vin de Pays d'oc  Merlot 1994 is a great Merlot. I am having trouble finding it online. Wondering where I could purchase it and how much does it cost. Thanks , Sabrina

ANSWER: HI Sabrina

That's a negociant wine---a wine that a local buyer assembles by purchasing bulk wine on the market and blending it together for sale.  It might well have been a very good deal when it was released, but negociant wines are made to drink when they are released--this one in about 1996--and are not intended to be aged.

You won't find any of the 1994 around, nor anything older than about 2012.  And I am not sure that Jenard is still importing this wine into the US.  That's not great news, I realize.

If you like Merlot, a Master Sommelier I just asked about this topic recommended Bogle Merlot---and it is ready to drink, and should be easily available.

Hope that helps!

Paul Wagner

Thanks for  the response. Strangely enough a friend has one in their collection. I jokingly asked to purchase it from them. They wanted $600 for it. Is it worth that much? They are collectors.
Thanks again.

Hi Sabrina

Their bottle is worth exactly what they can get someone else to pay for it. I wouldn't pay $600 for this wine, and have never seen this wine sell for anything near that price.  

I would look for another nice bottle of merlot--some of the top rated Merlots this year sell for under $50-60.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.