Wine/Mercier champagne 1858

Mercia champagne
Mercia champagne  
Hi there, I have been left a bottle of mercier champagne from my late grandmother. We believe it is one of the first bottles produced. Just wondered if it had any value?

Kind regards

Hi David,

Your reference to 1858 is to when this house, now part of Moet Hennessy, was founded, not to this bottle specifically I'm afraid.

Nor is it one of the first they produced as it's a standard off-dry NV blend they will have poduced in large numbers.

And, sorry, but it's very diffcult to see any value remaining in any old Champage bottle that shows such damage to the label and capsule - probably as a result of poor storage away from a cool dark place and lying down.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.