Wine/Christian Brothers Chateau LaSalle

I attended all four years of high school at Christian Brothers schools(one in Sacramento & the other in Berkeley) in the 60's and afterwards developed a taste for their Chateau LaSalle for a number of years. I read your reply from 2012 to the person who had a bottle inquiring as to its value. My question: what is available on the market today that comes the closest to tasting like the LaSalle of old. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Hi John

This is an easy one, as I worked for Christian Brothers Winery for quite a few years.  The Chateau LaSalle was developed to mimic a classic Moscato d'Asti from Italy--and that wine is still available in the market today.  It's delicious stuff.   And for that matter, just about any muscat wine will capture some of the character of Chateau LaSalle...

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.