Wine/Port & Wine

Question
Hi David

I have two bottles of Port and a small bottle of wine which I'd like to value and sell, though don't know where/how.  I live in Devon. All have been stored on a rack in a cool larder room, but the labels are a bit torn/old looking. They are:

- Dow's 1972 Vintage Port
- Offley Boa Vista LBV 1982 Port
- Chateau Vernon Bordeaux Superior 1966 (375cl)

Would be happy to email photos if necessary.
Many thanks in advance
Jenn

Answer
Jennifer,

I envy you living in Devon, I live just outside Wells in Somerset which is also a very good place to live.

As far as your bottles, the half of Chateau Vernon 1966, this is a low quality wine from the region, if it has been well made originally then it could be still drinkable but I feel possibly it is"over the hill"

The 1972 Dow has an auction value of £40/60 and the Offley which is a Late Bottlef Vintage could have an auction value of
£20/30 so as a combined lot at auction possibly for the 3 bottles   £60/90 at auction.

Auction values tend to be about 40% below retail values.

I am the wine valuer and consultant for Charterhouse Auctions in Sherborne Dorset, we can sell them for you if you can get them to Sherborne, our commision would be 15% of the hammer price.

To get them in the next quarterly wines auction I would need them to be with us befpre the end of January.

Kind regards,

David Baines.  

Wine

David Baines