Wine/About Porto Donaldo 1983

I have googled this, and found several responses, some from you, about other Porto Donaldos.  Mine is also from Zimmerman's in Chicago, 1983, bottled in 1991.  The label is a little chopped up (my fault), but I'm just thinking about drinking it with friends.  What does it go with, are all Donaldos tawny ports, and what taste should I expect?  How long will an open bottle be good for?…Thanks so much.

Hi An,

Aged Tawnies are often paired with nuts after dinner, rather than strong cheeses that might overpower them.

It's difficult to put taste into words but I think you could expect a medium-sweet complex wine with layers of flavour and a long finish. It should still retain some bite from the alcohol but no harshness in one aged in wood for 8 years.

I couldn't swear that all Donaldos are Aged Tawnies but I've never come across other styles under that name.

I don't think you and your friends will have any problem finishing the bottle in a sitting but tight resealing and overnight keeping in the fridge will help if you do!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.