Wine/Unopened Vintage Wine

Question
Hi, our roommate has a vintage unopened bottle of 1912 Neipoort & Cal wine. He obtained it years ago from a friend in California.  Would you happen to have any suggestions on how to go about selling it to a person or party that would have an interest in it then ourselves?  We live in Colorado & ideally would be great to find a buyer here than to sell it on an online auction.  I do have a picture of the bottle if it would help to at least get an idea of an estimate of what value the bottle could potentially be worth?  Thank you very much!   Mike

Answer
Hi Michael

It's complicated.  First of all, it's illegal for private individuals to sell alcoholic beverages in the USA, so you'll have to work through a licensed retailer or an auction house.  They will be in a better place to find a buyer...but they'll also require a significant commission.  Since you're in Colorado, you might check with someone at Applejackss, for example.

As to what this bottle is worth, that's really hard to say.  The wine itself has some pedigree, and makes it worth pursuing. Now for wines this old, provenance and storage conditions are crucial.  If you can show where it came from and how it was stored (and prove it!) that will add a lot to the value.

My guess?  The retail price could range from a bit over $100 to over $500, but you won't see all that money.  Some will go to you licensed seller as the commission.

Hope that helps.  You might explore some online sellers who carry older Ports to see if they are interested:  Corti Bros in Sacramento, K&L in California, etc.

Paul Wagner

Wine

Paul Wagner