Wine/Vintage Port

Hello David
I have 6 bottles of Grahams 1977 vintage port and I am trying to establish whether they are past their drinking date but if not, what is the best way to sell these, and what is a realistic price per bottle?  I live in London, UK.
Many thanks and regards,

Hi Nicholas,

This is fully mature but should drink well for a decade.

Replacement would probably cost you £75 per, inc VAT, so I think you could hope for bids of this order at auction from a specialist wine auctioneer such as J Straker Chadwick ( in Abergavenny, who are the largest provincial house and might offer you a better deal than the big London firms for a 6-bottle lot.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.