QUESTION: I came across a bottle of 1982 chateau lamarche Bordeaux superieur . can not find any info on it or what it's worth , could you please help me out . thanks

ANSWER: Hi Thomas

1982 was a great year in Bordeaux, but Chateau Lamarche is not a great chateau.  In fact, it's not a classified growth, and does not make the list of collectible wines in any vintage.  And at this point, how the wine was stored for the last 30 years would have a huge impact on the condition of the wine.

That's not to say that this wine might not still be tasty.  While getting on in years, it could still offer some subdued fruit and charm.  But it won't attract big prices at auction.  I think you'd be lucky to have someone bid more than $40 for this bottle--and once you deduct the auctioneer's commission, you could buy a nice bottle of red wine.

Which is what you have already.  If it were mine I would drink it.  And I'd make sure that I had a back up bottle on hand, in case this is already past its prime.

Hope that helps.  I'm sorry that I can't give you more exciting news.

Paul Wagner

QUESTION: another bottle with that was a 1986 mark swann south Australia cabernet sauvignon proprietor's reserve , any info on that would be helpful too , thanks

Hi Thomas

I'm afraid this one may be over the hill.  The Mark Swann wines were originally developed for a large retailer in Australia, and they were never made with long term aging in mind.  My guess is that this  bottle is well past its prime.

Sorry for the bad news.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.