Wine/jerez sherry

Question
I have an unopened bottle of Sherry labled as follows:

Alexander Gordon - "Pavo Real" Oloroso Sherry.    (20% alcohol)

A smaller label on the backside indicates a vintage of 11 January 1943.

Does the bottle have any significant value?

Is it drinkable?

Thank you

Answer
Hi Paul

Sherry is a wine that is oxidized during the production process, so there is very little that can happen to this wine that didn't already happen to it at the winery!  It should be fine to drink, both because of production process, as well as the 20% alcohol that will help preserve it.  It started sweet, but may have softened a bit as the sugar will have caramelized and lost its impact.  

The small label on the back may indicate a bottling date or some tax registration---as sherries are never vintage-dated.  They are a blend of vintages by definition!

Because you have only one bottle, and nobody can really verify the provenance or quality of this wine, it won't have much value on the auction market.  I would guess less than $150, and possibly far less.  And remember that it is illegal for private individuals to sell alcoholic beverages in the USA. You'd have to work through a retailer or auction house, and pay them a significant commission...  

Hope that helps.  This should be lovely wine.  I hope you enjoy it.

Paul Wagner

Wine

Paul Wagner