Wine/Danish blackberry wine

Question
I also have a Danish wine bottle - the one that looks like it has 4 handles to the bottle--it is full and the cork is still in it (even tho it has leaked a little out of the top). On the top of the cork, BANDOR is embossed in the plastic that is on top of the cork.  The bottle is 4/5 qt., 19% alcolhol with a label that says "Blackberry BANDOR - A Danish wine specially made with blackberry wine, sugar and natural flavors"  Another label shows "Schenley Import Company" and another very small circular label/stamp says:  By appointment to H.M. & The Kings of Denmark/KASTRUP_02 HOLMEGARD/Made in Denmark"   Do you know of or have any information about this beautiful bottle of wine?  Thanks -Ruth

Answer
Hi Ruth

Since they cannot grow grapes in the northern part of Europe, there is a long tradition of making wines and cordials out of local fruits, including blackberries.  But don't confuse these with more traditional grape wines.  These fruit wines are very sweet, fortified with high proof alcohol to give them a bit more life, and usually intended to be sipped very slowly or poured over vanilla ice cream.  Seriously delicious.

That's what you have.  It's not collectible, and wine connoisseurs don't really consider this wine at all.  But it can be tasty if it's not too old.  After a while, the color and fruit begin to fade from purple to brown, and it begins to taste a little tired and old.  The fact that you bottle has leaked a little bit is not a good sign, because that also means that air has passed the cork in the other direction, and has helped oxidize the contents. It won't have any value on the auction market.

So the long and short of it is that you have a bottle that might not taste so great, but there's only one way to find out.  Spoon out a little ice cream, pour a spoonful over the top, and see how it tastes.

Hope that helps.  And I hope it tastes yummy!

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner