Wine/rare flor sherry

Question
Unfortunately I had to place my father in assisted living, and as he used to be involved in the liquor industry, I found a few bottles I would appreciate having more information concerning them before deciding what to do.  First he had a heart shaped bottle of Paul Masson Rare Flor Sherry.  Blue label near the bottom of the front says cuvee no. 101 F   the second 1 is larger and the F is very "fancy"     4/5 quart

thank you

Answer
Hi John

Sorry to hear about your dad.  I went through the same thing with my parents just a few years ago.  It isn't easy!

As for you wine, it's a nice bottle.  Because of a number of factors (it's Sherry, which usually doesn't get a lot of attention from collectors, plus, it's from Paul Masson, which also isn't a brand that has proven to be collectible, etc.) it hasn't increased in value much over the years.  I've seen these on ebay from time to time for around $20 or so. I know it well, having drunk a few bottles of this over the years.

But that doesn't mean that the wine isn't good. Now, you have to understand that this is Sherry.  It started out sweet, but with time the sugar in the wine has slowly caramelized, so it won't be so sweet now.  It will have a nutty, caramel-like nose, and a very rich and complex flavor in the mouth. It would be a good wine to sip with some salted nuts, a Christmas fruitcake, or just on its own with a little cheese or crackers.  

You don't have to finish the bottle once you open it--it will stay good for quite a few days.  Hope you enjoy it.

And good luck with your dad.

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner