Wine/1977 German Wine

77 wine
77 wine  

We were gifted this bottle of wine and we hope you can shed light on what type it is, the value and if it is safe to drink. I have attached a picture. Thank you.

What a unique and interesting bottles of wine. Red wines from Germany, particularly from the heart of the Rhine Valley where Riesling is king are very rare indeed. Less than. One third of German wines are red. Although the there doesn't seem to be any indication on the label your wine is probably Pinot Noir or Spatburgunder as it is known in Germany. Because it is from the Rhinegau it is probably a high quality wine from an excellent vineyard Vinicius dry otherwise it would be planted to Riesling. I know this all sounds good but there are a couple of issues. A wine of this type rarely if ever comes up for auction so determining a value is difficult if not impossible beyond sheer guess work. The other issue is that this kind of wine is not expected to age anywhere near this length of time and is in all likelihood (unless it has been stored in a cool, temperature controlled wine cellar) not still drinkable. A sweet Riesling would fair much better as the sugar acts as a preservative. 1977 was a good not great vintage and a dry Pinot Noir like this probably reached a peak of drink ability around 3-5 years after the vintage date. It's possible that it could have aged well and is sublime, but it's unlikely. In pristine condition this wine might be worth $25, $50, $100? I can't be sure. My advice is to try it. It might be one of the best wines you'll ever drink or it might be a disappointment. You'll never know unless you try.  

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.