Wine/Cru Bourgeios

Hi Josh,

I'm new to wine and starting my adventure on Bordeaux.  I love the quality and value that Cru Bourgeiois offer.  Being Left Bank wines, you'd expect them to be Cabernet dominated, but I've found (and seen you comment in a video) that many times Cru Bourgeois have a heavy Merlot element.

Thank you for considering this question.

Ben, thanks for the question. It's important to keep in mind that Bordeaux is first and foremost a blended wine. There are many good reasons for this but the bottom line is that's how to produce the best wine. Bordeaux, unlike Napa and Sonoma is a cool climate region and very much affected by variations in weather vintage to vintage. In a cold vintage because Merlot and Cab Franc ripen earlier than Cab Sauv, you'll find higher percentages of those grapes in the wine, even the big Medocs. The soils and microclimate are variable throughout the region and even though the left bank is generally warmer and gravellyer there are spots where Merlot grows better (more clay, cooler). So I hope that answers your question and I hope you continue to enjoy your learning adventure.  

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.