Wine/Gold Medals from Concours de Bordeaux and the Ministere de l’Agriculture et de l’Alimentation

Question
Hi Josh,

As I continue my journey through Cru Bourgeois, I’ve noticed that some bottles contain a marking of a “Medaille d’Or” or “d’Argent.”  I’ve yet to see a “bronze” version, but it may exist.  I’ve seen bottles labeled with this from two institutions: Concours de Bordeaux and the Ministere de l’Agriculture et de l’Alimentation (with a subheader Concours General Agricole for the latter).  

My question is do these mean anything significant?  What can you tell me about these labels and their relative worth in judging quality of a wine?  These seem to be at least semi-official and recognized, and not mere marketing gimmicks, yet they don’t seem to appear on classified growths (probably because they don’t need it), but I’m not sure so turning to an expert.  Thanks in advance,
Ben

Answer
Ben,

I'll give you a link to a description of the competition on the Wine-Searcher website and a link to the competition website. It is a regional competition run by the French Agricultural Ministry, and as you you suspect it draws lesser-known, small producers with the opportunity for wider recognition.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/awards-22-concours+de+bordeaux+vins+d'aquitaine
http://en.concours-de-bordeaux.com/

Wine

Joshua Farrell