Wine/Corkage Fees Etiquette Tips and Advice

Question
Hi Josh,

I was wondering if you could give any etiquette tips and advice regarding inquiring about corkage fees at restaurants.  What are the dos and don’ts for inquiring about and using this service?

Answer
Ben,

Yes, I'll be happy to offer advice and this, which is a topic near and dear to many wine lover's hearts. First of all it's best to inquire about their policy when you call ahead to make your reservation. Skip the OpenTable app. Sometimes the person on the phone isn't sure or the person who knows isn't there yet. Make sure you get a firm yes from the person who knows (also good to remember their name if anyone questions later). Also make sure you get a quote for the amount they will charge, so you don't have an issue with your server. Sometime if your heart is really set on a particular restaurant and they're saying no you can try saying you have "special bottle" that you're celebrating a birthday or anniversary with. That has worked for me a few times. When you sit down tell your server you have a bottle you'd like served and you are prepared to pay the corkage. If you have something good you should offer a taste to the server or sommelier. If the corkage very high you can tip as you normally would on the check total. If the corkage is reasonable it's a good idea to tip as if the check included one of the restaurant's finer wines e.g., imagine the total is maybe $100 higher and tip on that amount. This is a good idea because not only does it endear you to the restaurant and their staff but it also encourages the restaurant to continue to allow BYO which is good for all of us!

Wine

Joshua Farrell