Wine/old bordeaux

vintage wine
vintage wine  
See attached.  My mother in law has a few bottles of old wine.  The one I'm attaching had a readable label.  Is it worth anything and/or drinkable?

Hi Debbie,

Wines of this age and fame are difficult to value at a distance because so much depends on condition so I suggest your MIL sends a list to Wine Commune ( with an invitation for one of their assesors to call by appointment and value them as potential auction entries.

I can only tell you now that 1924 was a good but not outstanding vintage so I would expect this bottle to attract bids from enthusiasts of Pavie Macquin who want to add to their collections.

Don't try to clean the bottles before they're assessed as nothing you could do would enhance their value and much could ... !

Good luck!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.