Wine/Fine Madeira Wine Valuation

Question
Hi.  I have a bottle of Fine Madeira Wine. Justino's Malmsey, bottled and exported by Vinhos Justino Henriques Filhos LDA.
Imported by Monsieur Henri Wines LTD. New York.
This particular label boasts Grand Prix and Gold Medals awarded. (Panama-Pacific International - Exposition San Francisco 1915 / Exposition Universelle de Paris 1889 / Exposition Internationale d'Anvers 1930.
This was a gift from a late relative who kept this bottle for many years. Other than that, I really know very little about it. The label looks very old (I suspect 80-100 years or more) and on many an occasions I have considered opening and sampling it. If you have any idea whether it's worth drinking or selling, I would be grateful.

Answer
Hi Jonathan,

As Monsieur Henri Wines was founded in 1934, your bottle can't be quite as old as you guessed but there's no reason why it shouldn't still be drinkable as the heating process inherent in the production of all Madeiras makes them virtually indestructible.

The only auction house I know of in Portugal is http://www.ahalgarve.com/ so it might be worth browsing there to see if anything similar has sold recently or asking if they could suggest an appropriate  catalogue valuation.

But be aware that MHW is now the wine arm of Pepsico and they don't enjoy a high reputation among wine enthusiasts.

David
.

Wine

David Ling