Wine/Port

Question
Port
Port  
Hello,

I have found a box of Port miniatures from the 90's and attach a picture.  

The Port appears to have 'spilt' and I have never seen this before, do I
Take it as they are screw caps the Port has spoiled or can this happen
With age and the port be OK to drink.

Many thanks in advance

Lee

Answer
That is a very common occurrence. What happened was that tannins and anthocyanins (compounds responsible for wine colour and taste) bound together until they finally grew up so much they became insoluble in wine and deposited. This happens particularly when there is oxygen present. These miniature bottles' screwcaps are not tight enough to prevent air from getting in, so oxygen from air got in the wine and caused that phenomenon. There is no harm in drinking the wine, if you want, it just won't taste as it did before. The colour will have changed to brown or orange too.

Wine

Antonio Rocha Graša