Wine/Penfolds Grange

Question
Hi Paul
I have a bottle of Penfolds Grange which I am after an approximate  valuation for:
The vintage is 1967 in which the label and bottle are in great condition. It also has had the recorking done in 2012 (the service offered by Penfolds) and has been cellared appropriately. I was wondering if it is a good idea to sell now with the 50th milestone approaching.

Many thanks

Answer
Hi Michelle

in the case of wines this old, the real question is always storage conditions.  Most collectors and connoisseurs are hesitant to buy from and unknown collector because they can't be sure that the wine stored properly for its entire life.  And even one summer at higher temperatures would pretty much have sealed the fate of a bottle this old.

That's not to say your quest is doomed--only that the price you might expect to see would be considerably less than a bottle that had been stored at the winery all this time.  

The wine itself is legendary, and this bottle is now reaching full maturity or beyond.  I don't think it will continue to improve in the bottle or increase in value, so if your plan is focused on selling it, now would be the time.

Does that make sense?

Paul Wagner

Wine

Paul Wagner