Wireless Communications/regarding Mobile A-GPS

Question
Will Mobile Station(MS) Assisted GPS calculate the location of the mobile regardless of emergency call?

Usually Mobile Station Assisted GPS calculates position of the mobile in network server in terms of latitude and longitude and Mobile Station Based calculates the position of the mobile in mobile itself. Both of these methods are used during emergency call. Is it possible to calculates the position of the mobile even if the call is not emergency call?  I request to clear my doubts at your earliest.

Thank you,

Answer
The terms "mobile station assisted / based"  refer to assisting in the acquisition of GPS synchronization by using local references on the mobile, as in non-fixed, GPS platform.     

If you are asking if the cellular phone network can locate a mobile phone without GPS assistance, the answer is yes.  In fact, the cellular system has to know where a cell phone is located to route a call to the proper cell tower near that phone.  

Wireless Communications

Jerry Hinshaw