Wireless Communications/wi fi

the local mc burger has wi-fi for free can I make or buy an antenna which will boost that signal enough for me to use it parked in my car  2 blocks away or further even in my house ... is there booster antennas which would amplify this signal

Yes, you can get a directional antenna that will improve your signal to that WiFi node.  If your smartphone or laptop has a WiFi antenna connector you need only find the right cable or adapter to connect the antenna.  Look for an antenna covering the WiFi range 2.1 to 2.5 GHz as that is the most common band, though there are some WiFi systems using the 5 GHz spectrum.  

Wireless Communications

Jerry Hinshaw

RF and microwave engineering, hardware and systems applications. Avionics, satellite, and terrestrial communications. Space communications and navigation, geo-location services via satellite and ground-based wireless systems. Systems integration of RF and wireless services. Electric Utility RF Smart Meter (SmartMeter) and Smart Grid wireless devices and networks. Utility Distribution Automation.

30 years experience in microwave and RF systems engineering, radio hardware design and development.

about 20 articles, 2 patents

BSEE MSEE Communications Systems