Wireless Communications/CLEAN UP

Question
(This is not a spam question or a homework question)
I was wondering would you please explain to me in a simple way that I can understand: why do batteries need to get rubbed on soft things occasionally so they can work again when you put them back into the device?

Thanks

Answer
Cameron, although my profile states that I answer questions related to Canada's General Mobile Radio Service, so you are asking me a question not related to why I am on here, I will answer it for you. Battery ends oxidize over time and build up a film of thin gunk that inhibits the flow of electrons. By rubbing the battery ends with something soft, and a pencil erasure is the best the use, it cleans the gunk off the batteries so the electrons can flow freely again. Phil

Wireless Communications

Phillip J. Boucher