Wireless Communications/Wifi Extender

Question
QUESTION: Hello there.

My next door neighbor has wireless internet setup and would allow me to share it with him. We both live in regular detached homes. My question is what is my best solution for allowing my laptop to gain a strong signal from his house?
When I first tried to use his signal my computer did not pick up anything. He has a wifi extender (a few years old) that he plugged in and that gave me a very low signal.

Based on the above events is would seem that a stronger extender would be in order. Does this make sense? Do you have any recommendations? Would it make sense for him to install the extender in his house or mine?     

Thank you!

ANSWER: Hi Dan,
The best way to do what you want is to run an Ethernet cable between your two houses. Connect one end to the LAN side of his router, then connect the other end to the LAN side to a new wireless router in your home. Use the same SSID (network name) and wireless password. Make sure to use different non crossing channels, 1, 6 or 11 on both routers.

QUESTION: Thank you for your very fast reply!

Is there another option with out having to run physical cable between our homes? I do not think it would be so practical to do. Even if it is not the best option, I would prefer something that does not require wires running between our homes.
Any other ideas?

Answer
Hi Dan,
The only other way that I can think of that does not get real technical is to put bigger antennas on the router. You could even get an outdoor directional antenna and point at your house but it would need to be mounted on your neighbors house and be fairly close to the router so the antenna can be connected to it. This requires the antennas to be out side of the router, some newer routers have internal antennas so you cannot see them or change them.

The only other way I can think of requires two routers both in you house and requires one of them to have a third party firmware to be installed.

Wireless Communications

Computers Unlimited LLC