Women in Religious Life/Thorn in the flesh

Question
Hello and thank you in advance for your time. I am dealing with some serious physical challenges and I was reminded of how Paul asked God to remove his thorn in the flesh and three times God said no...

My question is this: Can a normal part of life (PMS/Menopause) still be a thorn in the flesh or is it just our darn sin that came on the earth that gets to wreak havoc on us ladies and too bad for us ladies?

I was thinking anything that causes trouble for me is a challenge and could be a thorn no matter what it is.

Yet, I am woman struggling with severe PMS issues possibly heading towards menopause. I am doing everything on my part with education, rest, supplements etc. but it is so incredibly difficult. I believe I can do all things through Christ but as of right now I feel hopeless. I know that God created us a certain way but quite frankly I feel like it's just flat out torture. I also think that trying to defy a biological fact of nature is pointless. I am a woman and that is not going to change. I have exhausted medicines and doctor and no help. I feel trapped. Then today I thought well, maybe this is my thorn in the flesh?

Feeling hopeless and wanting a Godly woman's insight. Please and thank you!

Answer
Excellent questions.  Scripture is not clear on the thorn the flesh, especially with Paul.  We are still left guessing to this day.  In my opinion, and I agree with you, anything can be it.  For example, I have a broken foot that's requiring me to use a cane to walk properly, perimenopausaul, and I can't have children.  With what you're dealing with, you're not alone, and keep enduring in the midst of it.  God bless you, sister.  Please let me know if you need anything.

Women in Religious Life

Dr. Elizabeth Mattke