Women`s Investing/Oil Commodities

Question
Hi Melanie-

I don't know much about investing.  I have about 100K in VFINX and think I should move 20K or more QUICKLY in an oil commodity and sell in June.  Have no clue how to go about this.  Any information will be appreciated. Thank you so much for your kind time and help.  Have a wonderful day.

Answer
Dear Susie,

It depends on your investment objectives. VFINX is a broad market equity index fund essentially delivering the performance of the S&P 500. It looks like it has doubled since 2012, and if this is long-term 'buy and hold' money for you, meaning somewhere to keep money parked for 5-10+ years, there is no reason to move it.

For the 20K you mention, if this is money you can afford to speculate with, and want to speculate with, then sure, deploy it however you like. You mention oil, where you might want to research the sector more on your own before making a decision. Vanguard has other index funds that invest in oil, call them and ask them about their oil index funds (oil specifically not just energy overall). There are also some oil index tracking stocks and other products, some discussed in this article, however check their prices, some have been going down in the last few months: http://www.marketfolly.com/2009/01/how-to-play-crude-oil-using-etfs-etns.html You can buy these tracking stocks just like any stock in your brokerage account directly like with Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Merrill Lynch, eTrade, etc.; just look up the ticker and submit your trade. If you do not understand the oil sector, it is risky to speculate by trying to get in and out within a few months. Your money is potentially safer where it is in VFINX, which also pays a dividend.

Good luck,
Melanie

Women`s Investing

Melanie Swan