Women`s Issues/Single Mom Discrimination

I was recently denied a promotion at my work because I am a single mom.  He told me that he didn't feel I could meet the schedule obligations because I'm a single mom.  The schedule is no different from mine now except that I would have to be on call 24/7.  Which I explained to him is fine I have sitter 24/7.  Still I felt like I was being denied a job I would be great about because of my marital status. I have found a different job because of this.  Is he wrong and is there anything I can do about this?

Contact your nearest office of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The EEOC has a website, which should give you that information. Ask to speak to the officer-of-the-day and tell him or her what you've written me above and ask whether this might be a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  (Your former employer would have had to have 15 employees and what happened to you would need to be a violation of Title VII.)  If the answer is "Yes," or "Possibly," you will need to decide if you want to file a charge of employment discrimination against that employer.

Women`s Issues

Sonia Pressman Fuentes

I am an author, public speaker, feminist leader and lawyer. I was the first woman attorney in the Office of the General Counsel at the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) and a founder of WEAL (Women`s Equity Action League) and FEW (Federally Employed Women). I am an expert in the field of women`s rights to be free of employment discrimination based on sex.

I spent eight years as an attorney with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and worked for one year as a volunteer attorney with the Montgomery County, MD, Human Relations Commission. I have lectured all over the world and the U.S. on women's rights to be free of employment discrimination based on sex and had articles on the subject published in newspapers, magazines, and journals and on the Internet. I also spent 11 years with multinational corporations in the field of EEO and labor law.

I belong to NOW and the Veteran Feminists of America nationally and the Brandeis University National Women's Committee in Sarasota, FL. I am a member of the board of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State in Sarasota, FL.

See my Web site at for articles written by me, information on my memoir, "Eat First--You Don't Know What They'll Give You, The Adventures of an Immigrant Family and Their Feminist Daughter," and interviews of me.

I have an LLB from the University of Miami School of Law in Florida.

I received a superior performance award at the EEOC and was inducted into the Maryland Women's Hall of Fame, among other awards and honors.