Women`s Issues/Feminism versus humanism: What's the difference?

What is the difference between humanism and feminism? Are they basically the same? Can one be both? Thank you.

Dear Doreen: just told me there were questions pending for me to answer.  I was never notified before so I do not know when you asked this question.

Feminism is  the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.  It is also defined as organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests.

Humanism is an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems.

They are not basically the same.

Of course, one can be both a feminist and a humanist.

Women`s Issues

Sonia Pressman Fuentes

I am an author, public speaker, feminist leader and lawyer. I was the first woman attorney in the Office of the General Counsel at the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) and a founder of WEAL (Women`s Equity Action League) and FEW (Federally Employed Women). I am an expert in the field of women`s rights to be free of employment discrimination based on sex.

I spent eight years as an attorney with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and worked for one year as a volunteer attorney with the Montgomery County, MD, Human Relations Commission. I have lectured all over the world and the U.S. on women's rights to be free of employment discrimination based on sex and had articles on the subject published in newspapers, magazines, and journals and on the Internet. I also spent 11 years with multinational corporations in the field of EEO and labor law.

I belong to NOW and the Veteran Feminists of America nationally and the Brandeis University National Women's Committee in Sarasota, FL. I am a member of the board of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State in Sarasota, FL.

See my Web site at for articles written by me, information on my memoir, "Eat First--You Don't Know What They'll Give You, The Adventures of an Immigrant Family and Their Feminist Daughter," and interviews of me.

I have an LLB from the University of Miami School of Law in Florida.

I received a superior performance award at the EEOC and was inducted into the Maryland Women's Hall of Fame, among other awards and honors.