Woodworking/Rough cut cedar paneling indoors

Question
Our cabin has rough cut cedar paneling indoors that sheds "splinters" whenever someone rubs up against it   Or a vpehwbed is against the wall. Some of the walls are angled as it is an A Frame design. I can't even vacuum these rough walls without being besieged by wood splinters.  I would like to paint, seal or sand these walls so they are smooth. They are indoors and a very cheap grade of cedar. Replacing them is not an option. Any suggestions?

Answer
Hey Cindy, there is no easy answer for your dilemma....Cedar is quite soft, and sanding it is possible, but would be a huge headache and mess...replacing is always an option...it's wood,.... and certainly covering it over is also an option, being rough cut, there's no coating that will transform it into a smooth surface without resurfacing the boards..removing the paneling, running it through a thickness planer, and reapplying it has also been done, if it's typical blind nailed tongue and groove, it's labor intensive but possible...wish I had a magic solution...post back if need be- regards- Greg

Woodworking

Greg Scholl