I am looking for a chisel to help make round corners for hinges and strike plates. I can only ones that will square off a round corner. Do they make a tool like this?

Hi James

Yes, they do.... I'm based in the UK so I don't know who to suggest in USA. The chiseled themselves are called corner chisel and are manufactured by Lie-Nelson or Veritas. A UK website has details for further information. http://www.axminster.co.uk/lie-nielsen-lie-nielsen-corner-chisels-prod804372/ & http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-veritas-magnetic-corner-chisel-prod789002/ . Out of the two i actually own the lie-nielsen an prefer it. Hope this helps you. Stuart


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stuart Mawle


Now been a carpenter & joiner for the past twenty years in the UK. I can give avice / help on carpentry & joinery, health & safety, woodworking machinery, power tools and suppliers.


I have served an indentured carpentry apprenticeship with a medium sized building contractor doing a wide range of domestic and commercial work. This has included office buildings, barn conversions, building extensions and renovations. During my career, I spent over three years as a wood trades technician at a college. My job involved joinery work, wood maching and helping CITB carpentry & joinery students` pratical projects. Spent three years as a accredited NVQ assessor covering site carpentry and bench joinery. Now I teach my skills to others.

Institute of carpenters

I have city and guild qualifications in site carpentry and purpose made joinery. An indentured apprenticeship Hold the equivalent of a master craftsman status.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]