Woodworking/min wax finish

I used minx wood finish penetrates stains seals,    I put it on a table that had a varnish or polyurethane finish, unsure of finish it never got water stains never mark wiped up easily. I thought I had the can of urethane I have used on other items and painted it. It took a week to dry just looked like oily surface then dried and now I have spatters all over the table It looks like you used a toothbrush to do a spatter paint with pancake batter. It scrapes off easily with my nail but comes right back whenever any thing is sitting on the table don't know where to go from here Have you ever seen this?

Hi Peggy, if you applied Minwax stain over a finished surface, you have made a mistake, and it will never dry hard. Minwax stain is to be used on bare wood only, and so the table should have been stripped chemically down to bare wood if you wanted to stain it. You're going to have to strip it all off now, if you hope to have a durable finish on your table top I fear. Layering a new finish over an existing finish is a bad idea, unless you know exactly what you're doing and are sure of the chemistry and compatibility of the finishes....please post back- regards- Greg

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.