Woodworking/Staining a dining room table

Question
Help! I am trying to refinish my dining room table.  I stripped and sanded the old finish off to bare wood.  I used a prestain conditioner, sanded and then stained the table with minwax dark walnut stain.  The first time I think I left it on too long and the stain dried skicky.  I sanded the table again and reapplied the minwax stain.  This time the second coat is drying cloudy in spots and I can see the lines where I wiped the stain off the table.  I wiped it with mineral spirits but now It almost looks greasy and smudgy.  What should I do?  Sand or strip the table?  Is there a different type of stain that I should use?  I am getting frustrated but determined to make the table perfect.

Answer
Hi Kim, I'm not sure where to start...after applying a stain or a conditioner, you should never sand again...prestain conditioner should only be used in a situation where it's warranted...on a soft wood or one that's prone to blotching(like Poplar, soft Maple, etc.), other than that it should not be used.Minwax is very finicky to use, and absolutely must be applied to bare wood only, and as with all oil type stains, must be wiped off completely between coats. The one big mistake everyone makes with this type of stain is to not wipe it off well enough (or at all) after application... and usually because it looks so good when the stain is on the surface, but when wiped off properly and thoroughly, it almost always disappoints with the lack of color depth, especially on a hard wood.There are MANY better stains, and several different types, (dye, Gel, oil base, Waterborne, Methanol, etc..)depending on wood type, situation, desired look and depth of color, etc. It will also make a difference as to what type of clear coat one would choose....do you know what type of wood you're dealing with, or what type of finish you were planning on using? Dining tables are among the most challenging of refinishing projects, so I hope you have some prior experience with this type of finishing....Please post back and I'll try to be of more help....but from what you've described, I would suggest stripping the table again, thoroughly.Regards- Greg

Woodworking

Greg Scholl