Woodworking/Deck protection & colorant

Question
2-month old deck installation, No.2 prime treated pine. Purchased OneTime brand stain and tested one week ago on pine 2X4's. Air temperatures average 45-50 degrees. Test under overhead rigid canopy. Rain 20% of time and 70% overcast skies. 2X4's not contacted by rain.
I need a product that will protect the wooden deck from severe summer heat and sun. Colorant not as important. 50% of deck under canopy, 50 percent in direct sunlight. When refinishing in the future, would prefer a product that would not have to be stripped. You may want to check the 'promo' for OneTime to appreciate why I bought it. If it would fully cure -- I'd be thrilled!

Answer
Hi Jay, the first site I found about OneTime, was not very positive about the product, here's that link:

http://www.deckstainhelp.com/one-time-wood-deck-stain-review/

I'm always dubious about the claims these companies make, and just the audacity of naming something "Onetime", leaves me a bit jaded...it also appears to be a solid stain, which does not hold up well.....I am familiar with and use Flood CWf-UV products on decking, and they are an oil modified penetrating product, with a stain color added if desired. This stuff claims a 4 year finish warranty, but it's documentation is a little more realistic about recoating....(I think they recommend every 2 years). But the stuff penetrates well, and builds to a pretty durable water resistant finish. But asking any product to essentially waterproof wood in the harsh environments that we install it (decks, especially.. in a climate with snow, ice, sun, etc), and when also only applying said finish to the topside of the boards as a rule.....is a huge job, and not realistic. Wood is a natural product, it breathes, swells, shrinks, mold and mildews, and nothing can totally protect from those qualities...except using Trex, or a similar synthetic material.Another common mistake is to rush to seal a freshly installed deck of Pressure treated wood. This product needs to weather a full 6 months or so, or else whatever one applies to it will not penetrate, or stick properly. Hope this helps the thought process a little- please post back if need be- Regards- Greg

http://www.flood.com/wood-care-solutions/products/view-product-list.do?categoryI

Woodworking

Greg Scholl