Woodworking/legs for a kitchen table

Question
I have a large piece of butcher block that I would like to make into a table.  It is 3' X 8' X 3"thick.  What do I need to know about attaching legs to ensure it will be stable? Its very heavy.

Answer
Hi Frances, I'm sure it is quite heavy indeed...and because of that one can't just attach legs to it....you'll need to have a base built, legs attached to an apron assembly...the typical table base construction, and then the top attached to that. Any decent cabinet maker could make one for you, or you can find another option like ordering one online. I have used Osborne for many years, and everything they make is of the highest quality. Here's a link to their table base section:

http://www.osbornewood.com/table-base-kits.cfm

You would start the search under "Dining Table" bases, and from there you can see what's involved.Hope that helps- post back if need be- Regards and best of luck- Greg

Woodworking

Greg Scholl