Woodworking/table slab

I have bought an AMERICAN CHESTNUT slab. 170" x various widths, 37 to 52", and 3 1/4" thick. I also have 2 4" x 4" x 8' chestnut boards.
I would like to use the end pieces of the slab for trestle legs.
My thoughts: Inlet one of the boards into the bottom of the slab and secure with dowels or bolts up into the slab. this will go over or thru the legs.  The other board used as a normal stretcher with a mortise and tenon thru the leg slab. The leg slabs also inleted into the bottom and doweled near center only to allow for width movement.
I plan on cutting main slab with a 10" circular saw and a fine blade.  Your thoughts?

Hey Steve, yes, it's imperative to allow for wood movement in your construction..has this slab been kiln dried? I would build the trestle base as a free standing unit , with a top, either rails, apron or  some other construction, and then attach the slab to it with screws in oval holes to allow for movement. Slabs of this size rarely stay intact, and will likely move quite a bit, the closer the slab is to the pith the more unstable the slab will be when moving around.  This will also weigh a bit, so again, it's imperative to provide a structure strong enough to handle the top and it's use with ease....a 10" saw is a monster...set up a fence to run against for a perfect straight cut, and turn it upside down and cut from the bottom for the cleanest back if need be...and a picture too- Regards- Greg  

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.