Woodworking/wood working

i just bought a used radial arm saw and would like to find a manual on it that tells me how to use it.  it is

Black & Decker Deluxe Power Shop
Dewalt 3"cut
motor serial # 44571340
model #7740/3421
type 3
serial # 44871637
The Black & Decker Mfg. Co.

this is all the information on the saw.

one other thing,  i have a good table saw, the fence is parrell with the blade and the miter guage is at a right angle with the blade but for the life of me i cannot cut a board square,  it is always a trapzoid,  what am i doing wrong??thank you

Hi Ernie

Firstly, to get the most out of your radial arm saw then invest in a book like Radial Arm Saw Techniques  by Roger W Cliffe. I can't vouch for the book myself as I have not read it.... I had training on radial arm many years ago. Personally I would never use it to rip timber as this can be dangerous. Some models, more modern have a braking system to stop the blade in 10 secs. If your saw has this then you are not suppose to use a dado saw kit for housing.

Well, in regards to your table saw I would check your squareness cut with the following method. Use a reasonable size of mdf... Cut a straight edge on the longest side (side a). Place side a against your mitre gauge and cut the end (side b). Flip the timber, still keeping side a against your mitre cut the other end(side c). Compare the length between side b and side c at side a to the opposite side (d). If it's square then you expect the measurements will be the same... If not, side d length is the shorter then you need to move your mitre gauge by a small amount ( depends how bad so this could be 0.5 of a degree to a 1 degree) in a anti-clockwise direction. Repeat the end cutting process again. Likewise if side a is the shorter then you would move the mitre gauge in a clockwise direction. Keep doing until the length become the same.

I think only really old saw or expensive modern saws have the ability to alter the parallel rip fence... You shouldn't have the fence dead parallel... It should be minutely set so the fence widen after the cutting teeth... We are talking of less 1/32 of inch.

Usually, on sheet material, I will run a straight edge the longest side first then cut one end square then I run those sides against my rip fence to ensure I keep the board parallel for width and length. I hope this helps you.

Stuart Mawle

Now been a carpenter & joiner for the past twenty years in the UK. I can give avice / help on carpentry & joinery, health & safety, woodworking machinery, power tools and suppliers.

I have served an indentured carpentry apprenticeship with a medium sized building contractor doing a wide range of domestic and commercial work. This has included office buildings, barn conversions, building extensions and renovations. During my career, I spent over three years as a wood trades technician at a college. My job involved joinery work, wood maching and helping CITB carpentry & joinery students` pratical projects. Spent three years as a accredited NVQ assessor covering site carpentry and bench joinery. Now I teach my skills to others.

Institute of carpenters

I have city and guild qualifications in site carpentry and purpose made joinery. An indentured apprenticeship Hold the equivalent of a master craftsman status.