Woodworking/cedar chest

Question
I have a cedar chest that has been in my family for many years and have noticed that the wood is drying out in places.  I have tried putting lemon oil on it to re-moisturize it, but to now avail.  Any suggestions?

Answer
Hi Karen

Can I mention a fact about wood; wood is a hydroscopic material which means that wood will gain or lose moisture depending upon its environment. In your question, it doesn't state clearly what is happening to the cedar in the areas you have notice it drying out. Is it cracking or developing cracks? This is what would make me worried, especially if it has happened all of a sudden. My advice is to store or move the cedar chest to a dry room with out heat, especially not next to a radiators or heater. The lemon oil is a surface timber wood finish and doesn't penetrate into the wood more than a few microns. It seals the wood and enhances the beauty, especially adds a wonderful smell. Apart from leaving the chest in a suitable room you could wax polish once a year. Hope this helps you.

Stuart

Woodworking

Stuart Mawle