Woodworking/Craftsman Table Saw arbor pivot pin

Question
QUESTION: Going thru my Craftsman 10 inch table saw that my brother gave to me. I have replaced the belt and have done the alignments, but my concern is the Arbor Housing. I have checked the bearings on the arbor and it's solid no play at all. When I take the belt off, the whole Arbor housing can move slightly.When the belt is tightened or on,I can't feel any movement with my hand. Is that a problem? Does the belt keep it from moving? Should I install a bushing? I have never heard of this on any forum that I have read. Your help is truly appreciated. Thank You;  Vick

It's a Craftsman 1968 10" Tilting Arbor Table Saw Model 113.29903, it's just like Model 113.29960.

ANSWER: Hey Vick, I'm a little confused as to your description, when you say the "arbor housing", I'm assuming this saw has a cast trunnion that the arbor assembly is pressed into, similar to the ones I've seen from the 70's....perhaps someone like this guy could help more than I...there is a contact link at the top right of the page...

http://vintagemachinery.org/members/detail.aspx?id=14518

The belt will likely put enough tension on the arbor assembly to tighten it up to being moved by hand, but I would worry about deflection during stock feeding into the blade...as I'm sure you are...I had a 1978 model for years that was very similar..decent quality and fully adjustable...I even upgraded the motor at one point to a Baldor, and with a Vega fence,got many years of pretty accurate sawing from that saw....blade choice is also key to getting the most from such a tool...Hope that helps a little- regards- Greg

QUESTION: It's a craftsman table saw model 113.29903.
I took a closer look at the table saw cradle and arbor housing and I found out that arbor pivot pin is Pressed-In into the cradle assembly. I have never seen such a thing. Between the pivot pin head and the arbor housing, I was able to install a C-Clip or (Retaining Clip). That's how much of a gap it had, but my question is. What if sometime in the future, I want to remove the arbor housing to replace the bearing, I'm going to have that pin pressed out and maybe replace the pivot pin with one with a retaining ring slot. I might have to heat up the cradle to get the pin out???  Don't know where to go from here. I truly appreciate your help. Thank You;  Vick

Answer
These were typically "homeowner" quality saws, and therefore the manufacturing may not allow you to do a lot of rebuilding of the trunnion/arbor assembly, but if you got my first reply, go to that site and look around, message that guy and see if he can be of assistance....best- Greg

Woodworking

Greg Scholl