Woodworking/Finish over gold paint

Question
Hi Greg,
I am making a sign out of walnut and it will be finished with Danish Oil. I will have engraved letters with a CNC machine and then the letters will be painted gold. I am using Testors Master Model Gold enamel.
My challenge is, I tried painting the letters first then finishing, but the Danish Oil reacts with the gold paint and becomes dull. so I tried finishing the wood first, then paining the gold letters and that was o.k., until I tried to was the wood with paste wax. The was would get into the lettering and it would also dull the letters. What would be the proper method and order to do something like this?
Thanks for your help, Gene Pearson

Answer
Hey Gene, you could get it done a few ways, can you really see that much of a difference if you get a little Danish oil on the lettering?...can't you just wipe it off??I would be tempted to do a varnish sealer coat, do the lettering, and then spray the whole sign with the varnish topcoat over the lettering....most sign makers would approach it that way, so as to get maximum longevity out of the finish, I believe.When I did a run of simple signs, I sprayed the incised lettering, then took a beltsander to the surface to remove all the overspray, creating very clean lines, then sprayed the finish coats on the signs...Danish oil won't give you much in the way of protection......but maybe I'm missing something- post back.

Woodworking

Greg Scholl