Woodworking/Tongue and Groove woodchip flooring

Question
Our house is 30 years old and has tongue and groove wood chip floors. The joints are disintegrating in various places on most floors. Your foot sinks when stepping on these spots.Is there any way of repairing the floor where needed? Or will the floors need replacing (meaning each room will need to be cleared - furniture, carpets and underlay, wall grippers, door grippers and skirting boards)Examples of are -  at the foot of the stairs, half way up the stairs where they turn, where the computer chair sits, there feet are placed on the floor while sat in the main armchair.
We note than new flooring of a similiar type are now a different thickness.

Answer
Hi Cate

Based upon the information given then there isn't any other option but to replace the chipboard flooring. Basically the glue hold together the wood chip together and from what information given this is breaking down. Yes rooms will need to be clear when doing this kind of work and it may mean skirting removed. i have had to do this work where it had been possible to slide the boards under skirtings boards. Chip board flooring comes into two sizes 18mm and 22mm with standard or moisture resistance boards. You will need to use moisture resisted chipboard flooring in areas like kitchens, and bathrooms. It may be worth getting a trade person in to give their opinion as they will be able to give exact recommendations. It is one of those jobs where it can be hard to predict the best way of doing the work. I do think it needs investigating why the floor has defected mainly to ensure it is not damp related. Hope this helps you.

stuart

Woodworking

Stuart Mawle